Lucon is a delightful town with a pleasant centre. There is a covered market twice a week (Wednesday and Saturday mornings) with excellent fish and sea-food and there are three large supermarkets plus a good selection of shops. The town has some attractive minicipal gardens to visit « Jardin Dumaine » as well as an impressive cathedral. Lucon has a choice of several top quality restaurants.
Beaches and the Atlantic Coast
The Atlantic coast with its glorious beaches is from only 30 minutes, then you can choose from miles of sandy coastline, varying from pure sand at La Faute sur Mer, to the sand and rockpools of St Vincent sur Jard and Jard sur Mer.
Body boarding can be enjoyed at beaches near La Tranche. Surf just north of Les Sables or take a full day out and visit La Côte Sauvage. Beaches for all tastes and ages, most with the EEC blue flag for cleanliness.
The famous port of La Rochelle is about 40 minutes, a lovely place eat, shop, visit the wealth of museums or just wonder around. In the summer buskers bring the town alive in the evenings.
Sports and Activities
- Tennis: indoor and outdoor within 3 kms
- Golf: 4 courses within 45 minutes drive, some are links courses, and there’s no queuing at the T’s
- Horse riding: in nearby Luçon (10kms) Ste Gemme (3 kms) or the forest of Mervent (25 kms)
- Watersports: la Tranche is the European windsurfing centre; La Faute specialises in Land Yatching and Sea canoeing.
Green Venice: Hire a rowing boat, punt or canoe and see this beautifully region of France from the water under the shade of the trees at Maillezais, Coulon, Damvix, Nalliers, or a host of other locations. Rowing guides can also be hired for the lazy!
- Fishing: details of local regulations available in local Gendarmerie or PMU bar. Tourist passes can be aquired in a PMU bar.
- Table tennis
- Walking: Many marked tracks and walks exist locally and throughout the Vendée. A local association has a special walk every Pentecost Sunday.
Numerous places to visit
- Many markets along the coast throughout the summer, Saturday and Wednesday in Luçon, Saturday in Luçon, Fontenay or La Rochelle, Friday in Ste Hermine.
- Luçon with its Cathedral and Cloisters; Rennaisance Fontenay-le-Comte.
- The beautiful village of Vouvent with it’s Romanesque church. the forest of Mervent and inland lakes
- The cloisters and mill of Neuil sur Autize, the Abbey at Maillezais.
- Le Puy de Fou with its evening ‘son et lumière’ spectacle or its active open air museum at under an hour’s drive.
- Futurescope with its cinematic experience at one and a half hour.
- Gardens in Luçon, and the Chateau of Cour d’Aron, or Coex’s scented gardens.
- Wines and Chateaux of the Loire are at about an hour on the new motorway; Cognac and parts of the Bordeaux region are less than 2 hours; or visit the local caves of Fief Vendeén at Pissotte, etc…..
- Superb Restaurants in the area….ask for our recommendations.